Delivery and Returns

DELIVERY OPTIONS

COST

DELIVERY TIME

UK Mainland Only

Royal Mail Economy 0-2kg

DPD Next Working Day Over 2kg

 

£3.95

£5.95 per carton

90% of first class post in the UK will arrive the following day, unfortunately the other 10% can take up to 3 days.  Please allow up to 3 working days from point of dispatch before contacting us regarding your order.

Please note:- Shipping is calculated by weight so the carton cost will increase for orders over 22kg

Scottish Highlands & Islands

Northern Ireland

Royal Mail Economy 0-2kg

Parcelforce Premium Over 2kg

 

 

£3.95

£16.50 per carton

3-5 days from order dispatch date

Please note:- Shipping is calculated by weight so the carton cost will increase for orders over 22kg

Channel Islands & Isle of Man

Royal Mail Economy 0-2kg

International Parcel over 2kg

 

£3.95

£16.50

 

3-5 days from order dispatch date

Please note:- Shipping is calculated by weight so the cost will increase for orders over 22kg

Republic of Ireland

Royal Mail International Economy 0-2kg

International Parcel Over 2kg

 

£11.95

 

From £16.50

 

3-6 days from order dispatch date

Please note:- Shipping is calculated by weight so the cost will increase for orders over 22kg

Please note - Outerlying uk postcodes and additional costs

Certain postcodes in the Scottish HIghlands and Islands and some offshore addresses including Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Isle of Wight, and Channel Islands do incur a slightly higher delivery charge with orders over 2kg and our premium delivery service. We do apologise if you are affected by this.

Order processing times

Please note that our personalised and bespoke products take approximately 7 days to produce from point of ordering. Please allow sufficient time for your gift to arrive.

 

We're all about a safe and secure online shopping experience

We accept all major credit and debit cards, and all payments are processed via the secure merchant PayPal and Sage Pay. You are not required to have a PayPal account in order to shop with us as you can still pay by credit/debit card. So you can be sure your card details are always safe with us.

We're all ears

We work with Google reviews a well trusted customer feedback forum, to give you the chance to rate your experience. Once your order’s been sent you’ll receive a short survey email from Google reviews. Your feedback helps us and improve what it’s like to shop with us.

Can I cancel my order?

Should you want to cancel your order, please Contact Us immediately on 0800 699 0206 we are open between 8am and 5pm. Unfortunately, once your order has been sent to production, then we will not be able to cancel your order, so do please phone us rather than send us an email to avoid any delays.

How do I return my order?

Unfortunately, we cannot accept returns of personalised products unless the product is faulty. Please Contact Us by phone or email and we’ll do our best to resolve the problem.

My order has arrived faulty - help!

Please accept our apologies if your gift hasn’t arrived in one piece. Please can you send us a photo of the broken item to hello@funkytapemeasure.com and we will arrange for a replacement or a refund as soon as possible.

My order has arrived with a spelling mistake – Help!

We are really sorry to hear this. Please send us a photo showing the problem to hello@funkytapemeasure.com

Our gifts are tailor-made for you, so our machines will print exactly the message you enter. We advise you to double check all details are completely correct. We cannot accept responsibility for mistakes unless we find that the fault has occurred due to our production process.

Please Contact Us within 24 hours of delivery so we can fully check your order.